Friday, June 26, 2015


I chose carrots for their color, for they looked sweet. the raspberries and strawberries in their pale blue boxes reminded me of Minnesota summers. round yellow onions and fat cucumbers, leafy kale and sugar snap peas. what a gift. thank you God for your faithful provision, your bountiful gift of generous tips, surprising jobs, deep purple beets. all undeserved blessing. what a joy it is - that I'm able to hand over crumpled ones and fives in exchange for a pound of cherries or a soft peach. I don't want to take that lightly, but to recognize it as a mercy of God. remarkable with how he provides more than necessity requires. I walked back to my apartment and laughed. Lately, I'm laughing and crying daily. For once, I don't see them as two opposites canceling each other out.

"Why do we marry, why take friends and lovers? Why give ourselves to music, painting, chemistry or cooking? Out of simple delight in the resident goodness of creation, of course; but out of more than that, too. Half earth's gorgeousness lies hidden in the glimpsed city it longs to become.”
― Robert Farrar Capon, The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection